The rules of the game have widely changed. The main issues have been
- to adapt the game to the new synthetic fields introduced in 1980s.
- to enhance comprehension from non-players in order to gain TV coverage
Some of these rules changes:
- the FIH eliminated the offside rule (similar to offside in football) in the mid-1990s in order to increase scoring opportunities.
- Constant modifications of the penalty corner rules in order to minimize its importance in the game and its readability
- limitation of the bow of sticks in order to limit the increasing use and power of drag flicks